FAQsDo I Need A Military Divorce Lawyer?

Military Divorces Are Different

When it comes to military divorce in San Antonio, the process becomes more complex and there are additional issues that must be addressed than in a traditional divorce situation. Since state and federal laws govern military divorce, it is wise to seek legal counsel for results that meet your requirements.

Bineham & Gillen successfully handles complicated military divorce cases for many families. We represent military divorce clients stationed in Bexar County, including those stationed at Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base, Randolph Air Force Base, and Brooks Army Medical Center (BAMC).


Common Military Divorce Issues

Military divorce has always existed, but has become a growing need for San Antonio families as veterans return from Iraq, Afghanistan and other deployment locations. In recent years, there has been a rise in divorce in military families involving Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and domestic violence. 

As a former U.S. Marine, attorney James F. Gillen, Jr. understands the stressful situations that our soldiers and their families face. He uses this understanding to offer effective representation to military members and their families in matters involving divorce or any other type of legal issue. Mr. Gillen and his team use innovative strategies to create a powerful case designed to meet your goals and help you move forward with your life.

Where You File Matters

To file a divorce in this state, you or your spouse must have lived in Texas for six months and lived in the county of filing for three months. Additionally, either you or your spouse must be stationed in this state. The laws about divorce differ in varying states and unlike civilians, members of the military have a number of choices about where they can file for divorce.

States have their own requirements about residency and division of property. In addition, couples should consider matters of convenience, such as filing in the state in which they live, work, and bank. The military spouse brings his or her pension into the division of property. The couple must be married 10 years for the spouse to receive a portion of the retirement money. The federal government has a law that determines specifically how the pension will be divvied up.



Bineham & Gillen Divorce Attorneys
8632 Fredericksburg Road
Suite 208
San Antonio, TX 78240


Ask about our financing and payment plans.